Monday, June 6

Craft :: Cookie Cutter Wool Wet Felting


We used some colored wool roving to make these star shapes recently.



The materials needed were easily gathered from around the house. A pencil or dowel, very warm soapy water in a small bottle (we used a small spray bottle container), colored wool roving, a cookie cutter, a face cloth and a flat container to work in.


We tried both a heart and star shape but found the star to have a better outcome. A folded face cloth was placed at the bottom of the work surface in the container. The cookie cutter was placed on top.



The cookie cutter was stuffed with roving. With so many color choices we ended up making lots of stars.


The warm soapy water was gently poured on top of the roving until it was well saturated.



Next, it was time to agitate the wool with an up and down motion. The eraser end of the pencil worked well and we sometimes used our fingers to poke the wool too. After a few minutes of poking, I took the wool in the cookie cutter over to the sink and rinsed it in cool water, then they were blotted with a towel and left to dry.




After the stars were dry I trimmed any messy edges and strung them to hang from one of the knitting tower garlands.



Now my daughters have some new bedroom decor that they can enjoy looking at and enjoy knowing they made themselves!

8 comments:

Olives and Pickles said...

Beautiful!!

Tamsyn Spackman said...

Wow, that looks easy enough to do, haha, a qualifying factor for me. :) Where do you get the wool?

XYZZ said...

I had no idea you could use anything other than a needle! I'm so excited to try this with my littles. :)

Amanda Lynn said...

I think you may have read my mind. I work with two year olds and just today was thing about maybe trying wet felt balls, was unsure of if they could make them easily since its kind of a long process, this is perfect! Quick and simple and they can each have their own without making a huge dent in my wool collection.

Montessori Beginnings said...

Very safe! L has just started needle felting with a cookie cutter but the wet felting is so much safer! Can't wait to give this a try.

Amy said...

I get our wool and other supplies from A Child's Dream Come True. They have a nice selection.

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

It's beautiful!

Unknown said...

This is a great idea! I'll definitely use this with my nieces and nephews.
Cana
http://lavendardragonfly.blogspot.com/