Friday, October 29

Make Your own: My little sandbox

Just the other day I was looking around the internet for some sensory ideas. With the change in seasons, I am anticipating those cold (very cold, we're in Vermont!) winter days when we can only get outside for a few minutes at a time. Around here our hands are covered all winter so although we dig, build and play in snow, much of a sensorial touching and feeling experience is limited. Last winter we had our indoor sandbox which provided some much appreciated sensory play. While I haven't gotten an indoor sandbox going yet, I did come across a great little idea in the meantime. Have you seen these before?
It's called a My Little Sandbox. There is a whole series of them (found on Amazon) and they've got good reviews. I thought it looked like something my daughters would enjoy so I made up one for our home.



Our sand is pretty well mixed with dirt, leaves and sticks from a summer of outdoor play, so I opted for using rice in our Little Sandbox. I had this miniature farm from long ago that fit perfectly.



After observing my daughters' play, the rice has worked out well and is easier to clean up (they are good about not misusing it and can sweep it up independently if needed.)





They have enjoyed using it and I like that it provides the sensory experience of the rice along with encouraging creativity and imagination.




This post has been shared on:
Come play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up

A resource for bloggers to share early childhood play ideas

10 comments:

Jess said...

I LOVE this idea!!!! So much better then a plastic show box that I have been using! Also I had no idea you were in VT! I am in NH!

Gamze said...

that's really nice idea

Joyful Learner said...

I love the rice substitute. I've been wanting to make this for some time. Now, I have the inspiration!

izzy said...

Brilliant idea, really! I'll consider this for my classroom too. Thanks for sharing. (:

Bri Sin said...

Hm.... I love this! And I just had a thought that I'd thought I'd share: How about doing something like this with something like wood shavings for hamsters and such? Offers something different in a sensory exploration... and if it is pine then it will exercise their sense of smell as well!

P.S. I LOVE your blog. :)

Amy said...

Jess, nice to know! Ready for a long cold winter?? Bri- I love the idea of using wood shavings! I think we will try that this winter.

Christie - Childhood 101 said...

What a great idea, I love the wooden farm yard buildings. Would love you to link this post to this week's We Play as I am sure it would be very popular with all those moving into cooler weather.

Unknown said...

Great interpretation! My girls would love to play with this.

Be A Fun Mum said...

This is absolutely wonderful!!!!!

Chapter Forty said...

Mini things have real play appeal. I would love for my kids to experience snow, but I don't envy your winters