Wednesday, March 24

Craft: Weaving


We really haven't done much weaving yet because I really wasn't sure if my oldest daughter would like it or find it frustrating. This weaving activity was just right for her skill level, she was able to weave independently and she enjoyed it.




I used an embroidery hoop, yarn, and strips of fabric. First, I separated the hoop and put the yarn across the smaller hoop (6 seemed like a good amount) and then put it back together. (Next time I will use a coordinating yarn color so that the yarn blends into the weaving more.)




Using the strips of fabric, my daughter wove over, under, over, under... I helped her move the strips close together after finishing a row.





When she finished weaving, I carefully loosened and removed the outer hoop and laid the fabric strip ends on top of the remaining hoop. Next, I put the hoop back together and tightened it. My daughter cut off the leftover string and I cut off the leftover fabric.




It is hanging up for everyone to enjoy and I invited her to take it down to make a new weaving whenever she wanted. I like the fact that we can appreciate looking at it, but it is also something she can reuse to do more weaving in the future.

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Great idea! I starred this post to try with my older daughter.

Ariella said...

this is fantastic! what a great and easy way to learn weaving. thanks!

Joyful Learner said...

It's beautiful! I've been wanting to do a weaving activity with our daughter but haven't bought a kit yet. This is even better because I had a ring I didn't know what to make with and it will go perfectly with our unit studies! Thank you for sharing this and the timing couldn't be more perfect!

The Sunshine Crew said...

Love the weaving work! We are always looking for different weaving work to try...will have to make something similar to yours. Thank you for sharing:)

angelina said...

i will have to try as well! thanks for the idea. how old is your daughter?

Evenspor said...

That's cool. Great idea. It looks really cute too.

kristin said...

oh, i love this!

i have a bunch of mini hoops, maybe a project for the whole school...or for home...

MaryAnne said...

Whata great idea, thanks for sharing!

Amy said...

angelina- my daughter is 4 1/2 yrs. Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Little Family Fun said...

We tried one of the crafts we found on your blog and just linked to you. Thanks for sharing such fun ideas!
Linda
littlefamilyfun.blogspot.com

Counting Coconuts said...

I love this. My son is a bit too young for it, but I'm bookmarking it for later. :)
PS: I linked back to you in a recent post.
~Mari-Ann
Counting Coconuts
www.countingcoconuts.blogspot.com

softearthart said...

What a great idea, I will pass it on to my sister, cheers Marie

Elizabeth said...

This is such a wonderful idea! And I even have everything I need to do this. I know what we will be doing soon.

Sippy Cup Central Mom said...

I love the weaving idea, thanks! Karen

Southpass Beads and Fibers said...

This is a great idea. I'm thinking it might be a good community project for our local town's annual holiday celebrations. Thanks for sharing!

Southpass Beads and Fibers said...

I meant to ask - what size is the hoop you used for this project? Looks like a good sized one.

Amy said...

The hoop is 10 inches- thanks for asking.

katepickle said...

Just saw this on pinterest and had to pop over to say how clever this is! An easy was to make a loom and it makes an easy way to display the weaving! Genius!

j. wilson said...

it's really sweet! i like how the white yarn contrasts with the fabric. i've done burlap sewing hoops for preschoolers but never weaving. thank you for sharing!