Friday, January 29

Starting a Journal

Since my daughter turned 4, I had been meaning to start a journal with her. Keeping a journal is something I did with my mother as a child and as I grew older I enjoy looking back through it. Journaling for children is encouraged because it promotes literacy, allows for self expression, and helps the child feel their thoughts and feelings are valued.



We are using a sketch book (plain unlined paper) as our journal. My daughter decorated a piece of paper and we glued in on the front for her cover.



I explained a journal is a place to write or draw about things you have been doing, things you want to do and feelings you have. We talked about what she did this week and specifically yesterday. She drew her picture and then told me what to write while I wrote. I showed her the special spot we would keep her journal and told her she could write in it any day she wanted to but only one page a day. We will also use it regularly on Sunday afternoons.

6 comments:

Leptir (NataĊĦa) said...

This is so nice!

Evenspor said...

I recently started a journal with my 4-year-old too. I haven't been good about consistently writing in it, though.

XYZZ said...

My daughter did this with her kindy class; I was one of the volunteers who came in to write under the children's pictures for them. That journal is one of my most treasured possessions now - it brings back such sweet memories. Thanks for the reminder that I need to have my 4-year-old begin one!

aarnette said...

Wonderful idea! I will start that tomorrow!

Joyful Learner said...

Lovely! You've inspired us to start one too!

Amy said...

Thanks! I decided I should really start my own journal and write during this time too- lead by example, right?