Saturday, February 7

Montessori for the Youngest and Play

We haven't been in our Montessori room for a few days, but here is what we're up to in the rest of the house.

I just made this for my youngest daughter. Cubes/Squares are a good challenge for her right now. Sometimes she gets the cube in the square at first try other times it can take two or three. I always find the multi shape boxes sold in stores, too overwhelming for children. I think the Montessori method of one shape at a time works best.


I liked the idea of her feeling for the shape (peeking too perhaps) but to give the activity a sensory element. The box is taped together.


I always like tips from others about what toys they use and toys that last the test of time. Here's one of ours: I bought these Melissa and Doug ice cream cones awhile ago. Everyone loves them and they are used all the time. They are magnetic- on the cone and with the scoop. Lots of fun.

I just love seeing my children play. My oldest daughter (and maybe because she had time being an only child) will play for an hour easily without stopping. I love hearing the little voice making her dolls talk and the toys out and arranged in her special way. I think play is so important. At this young age I like the mix of structured activity with educational value (like our Montessori time) and a lengthy play time. I think they are equally important.

5 comments:

Koko's mama said...

I love your cube sorter and the sensory aspect of it. I remember how frustrated my oldest was with our multi-shape sorter when she was a little tot.

I also agree that unstructured play is equally important as Montessori learning. But it seems you have prepared your home environment to be very orderly. I truly struggle with that. Sigh.

Packer Family said...

I've often thought the same thing about the multiple shape sorters being to hard! I like the idea of just one shape at a time. I'm going to make this for sure! I'll post when I do and link to you:)

Pecos Blue said...

Love your blog. Thank you for all the great ideas. We are trying your air, land and water this week. I will take photos and post later about it and feature your blog.

Anonymous said...

Before finding out about links of london uk watches you should be familiar with some of the terminology. cheap links of london The word horology has two meanings; it is the study or science of measuring time links london jewellery or the art of making clocks, watches, and devices for telling links of london sale time.Since the first appearance of man on the earth an effort has links of london silver been made to determine time.The tracking of the sun's movement across discount links of london the sky, candles that were marked at intervals.Water clocks did links of london bracelet not depend on the observation of the sky or the sun.

My Creative Side said...

I really like all your toddler activities. Thank you for sharing and I look forward to seeing new ideas on your pages. I will be one of your loyal followers. Lisa:)