Wednesday, February 11

Applying It To Real Life


Practical Life Lesson: Liquid Measure
I have recently introduced pouring water from a small bottle into a measuring spoon. The child holds the spoon over the bowl and empties the spoon into the bowl when filled. Spills are cleaned up with the sponge.



The purpose of the Practical Life lessons is to prepare the child for activities of everyday life. It is very important that the children are able to make the connection from the classroom activities to real life so they see a purpose in their work. Because we have learned new skills with measuring cups, measuring spoons, and leveling, I thought it was an appropriate time to use these skills to make something- in this case Play Dough. I found a no-cook recipe here so that the activity would be completely hands on. As you can see, it makes a small amount, and doesn't use a lot of ingredients. We worked on this together and will a few more times before I make recipe cards and put it all together for a lesson available at anytime. It was really great and rewarding to see the lessons we've been working on, put to use in this way.

No Cook Play Dough Recipe:
4 Tablespoons White Flour
2 Tablespoons Salt
1 dropper full Vegetable Oil (we used 1 teaspoon)
2 Tablespoons Water

Mix in bowl with a spoon. Add water a little at a time. As it forms a dough, use hands to mix it completely.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

I like your systematic approach. I think you're doing a great job with your lesson planning- I hope your daughter loves it as much as I think my kids would. It is nice to be relevant...and kids always see us using measuring spoons. A good skill for them to learn!

tracey (aka rainbowmummy) said...

thanks for the play dough recipe, i am sure me and egg will enjoy this over the break!

Anne said...

I really like the pouring water into a spoon activity!

danielle-laryn said...

I like how organized and purposeful your projects are. Cant wait to try them with my little one!